The Shipping Clerk is responsible for shipping finished product to internal and external customers according to specified carrier, method and packing instructions. This position must follow the shipment orders to ensure not only the timely delivery of product, but also that product is not damaged during transport.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Packages finished product according to shipping instructions; includes ensuring correct package type, labeling, shipping method (ie. carrier and/or rush orders), and required documentation. Ensures product will arrive undamaged through packing process.
- Uses the shipping software to generate packing slips; includes printing inner and outer labels and attaching all required documents and/or paperwork; completes process by ship confirming orders in the JDE system.
- Ensures International shipments are packaged and shipped according to procedure.
- Assembles boxes of all sizes for packing product; uses required bubble wrap packing material to ensure undamaged product is transported.
- Schedules product pick-up from appropriate shipping carriers when necessary.
- Schedules freight pick-up with appropriate carriers when shipment exceeds size and weight limits; ensure required documents such as bill of lading.
- Programs auto bagger according to customer specifications; individually bags parts as required.
- Ensures shipping department inventory (boxes, plastic bags, chip boards, etc by dimension) are at appropriate levels; orders refills as necessary.
- Cross-trains and ensures quality output of non-department employees during high volume times.
- Maintains customer service levels with carrier drivers.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
This position requires a High School Diploma or GED equivalent. Should have previous experience in a fast-paced shipping department preferably in a manufacturing environment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Should have basic understanding of the JDE system and shipping software
- Must have knowledge of shipping procedures and requirements
- Ability to communicate with all levels of the organization effectively in English both written and verbal
- Must have ability to operate various shipping and office equipment such as computer, tape runner, auto bagger, and bag sealer.
- Should have experience operating the UPS online system
- Must have basic knowledge of blueprints and work instructions to ensure proper packaging
- Must have basic math and typing skills
- Should have excellent organizational skills and the ability to multi-task.
- Must have experience in completion of international and domestic bill of lading and shipping documentation.